PhD at HZS
Since the academic year 2006-2007 Ph. D. students can achieve the associated degree of Ph.D. in Nautical Sciences.
The Ph.D has to fit in with one of the six subjects of research of the Master:
- Safety and health
- Maritime transport
- Marine environmental problems
- Maritime energy problems
- Maritime techniques
- Human resources and communication
Four professors of the Antwerp Maritime Academy have already obtained their Ph.D.:
- 4 July 2011: Capt. Kris De Baere - research subject "Corrosion in ballast tanks on board of merchant vessels”
- 21 March 2012: Rowan Van Schaeren - research subject "Integrated Port Operations Optimization"
- 29 March 2013: Helen Verstraelen - research subject “The influence of the quality of steel on corrosion in ballast tanks on board of merchant vessels”.
- 9 September 2016: Linda Van Dessel - research subject "Confidence in the use of nautical instruments: risk analysis"
Eight other researchers are preparing their Ph.D. based on following subjects:
- The effect of toxic vapours on seafarers on board of chemical tankers during normal operations
- The effects of ships generated waves in the Scheldt region and the Antwerp port region
- International Piracy
- Essays on current issues of shipping finance, with special focus on alternative funding sources, financial distress, restructuring and work out processes
- Communication for maritime purposes: linguistic and (inter)cultural features of communication at sea
- The influence of coatings and its application on corrosion resistance
- Anti-fouling protection of the ship's hull - evaluation of the most recent developments
- Development of sandbanks in the river Scheldt.
Dr. Marc Vervoort
Co-ordinator Scientific Research
Phone. 03-205 64 66