PhD at HZS
Since the academic year 2006-2007 Ph. D. students can achieve the associated degree of Ph.D. in Nautical Sciences.
The Ph.D has to fit in with one of the seven subjects of research of the Master:
- Safety and health
- Maritime transport
- Marine environmental problems
- Maritime energy problems
- Maritime techniques
- Human resources and communication
- Maritime law
Five professors of the Antwerp Maritime Academy have already obtained their Ph.D.:
- 4 July 2011: Capt. Kris De Baere - research subject "Corrosion in ballast tanks on board of merchant vessels”
- 21 March 2012: Rowan Van Schaeren - research subject "Integrated Port Operations Optimization"
- 29 March 2013: Helen Verstraelen - research subject “The influence of the quality of steel on corrosion in ballast tanks on board of merchant vessels”.
- 9 September 2016: Linda Van Dessel - research subject "Confidence in the use of nautical instruments: risk analysis"
- 29 June 2017: Alison Noble: "Maritime English put to the test! The feasibility and desirability of setting global standards for Maritime English: a survey-based study"
Eight other researchers are preparing their Ph.D. based on following subjects:
- The effect of toxic vapours on seafarers on board of chemical tankers during normal operations
- The effects of ships generated waves in the Scheldt region and the Antwerp port region
- Structural and contemporary issues in container shipping with focus on Secondary Trade routes
- Essays on current issues of shipping finance, with special focus on alternative funding sources, financial distress, restructuring and work out processes
- The influence of coatings and its application on corrosion resistance
- Anti-fouling protection of the ship's hull - evaluation of the most recent developments
- Development of sandbanks in the river Scheldt
- Comparison between maritime and aviation safety
Dr. Marc Vervoort
Co-ordinator Scientific Research
Phone. 03-205 64 66